Friday, April 1, 2011

36 Weeks

4 Weeks Left!

Today I am 36 weeks! I finally feel like we are getting towards the end. Unfortunately, I also find my patience quickly running out. I have been very good up until the last few days. Now the thought of having to wait 28 more days just frustrates me. I hope he comes early, but I am trying really hard not to expect it.

We had our doctor's appointment yesterday. I'm not sure why, but I was feeling kind of nervous before we went. I hadn't been feeling Will move a ton that morning, so I was just a bit worried. But at the same time, I usually don't pay enough attention and focus on his movements, so it was hard to tell. The doctor visit went well. At 34 weeks, I was measuring 34 centimeters and was right on. Now at 36 weeks, I am measuring 39 centimeters! Talk about a growth spurt! Anyways, Dr. Olsen said that he wanted us to get an ultrasound done to check on a few things. He said that the heart beat was a little high, and that he also wanted to do this bio...profile thing....I can't remember the name. It had me slightly worried, concerned that there was something wrong. Unfortunately, the hospital was pretty booked and we had to wait until today to get that ultrasound. It was a lot of fun to see our little baby this far along and see the changes from the last one. The technician had a list of things he was checking for and Will passed with flying colors! Some of those things included: turning his head side-to-side, full body movement, breathing movements, being responsive, etc.

He is measuring a bit bigger than average. He said based on that ultrasound that my due date would be April 18th. I would be very happy with that! But like I said earlier, I am trying really, really hard not to expect it. But I'll be honest, I wont be particularly happy if he waits until his due date. And don't even THINK about mentioning him coming late! He weighs about 7 lbs right now and is doing really good. Babies typically gain about 1/2 a pound a week from here on out, so if he waits until his due date he will at least be 9 pounds. He is still apparently a little shy, because he still wouldn't give us a clear shot of his face. Again, his hands were covering the majority of his face. The little stinker. He is definitely a boy though, so I don't have to worry about exchanging anything that I have so far.

I also went to a parenting class last night. Lance had to work so he wasn't able to go, but I shared everything I remembered once he got home. There were many topics that were covered and I felt like there were some good suggestions offered. They talked about communication with your baby, different cues, how to swaddle, etc. One thing that I really liked and never would have thought of: she said that mothers are attracted to the smell of their babies, and babies are attracted to the smell of their mothers. So when she was a new mother, she wanted her baby to learn how to fall asleep on his own, not while she was holding him. So when he was getting tired, she would put him in his bed, and she would roll up the shirt she had been wearing that day to put next to him. The smell would help to comfort him and so he could fall asleep without being held. Who thinks of these things?! So I really appreciated all the little suggestions (such as that one).

Well that is about it with the pregnancy update. Our next doctor appointment is next Wednesday. I'm hoping that now the appointments are every week that it'll help the time go by faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment