Saturday, May 21, 2011

Postpardum Troubles

It's been a while since my last post. I haven't exactly been "busy", but I just haven't had a ton of time to do a post. When Will finally decides he wants to sleep, I find I have a lot of other things that I want to do, and my blog just got put off for a while.

Will at 3 weeks old
There have been a few...problems that I didn't expect since Will was born. I expected sleepless nights, trying to adjust, and devoting practically every minute to our little guy. What I did NOT expect was how often I would need to see the doctor afterwards. Geeze! I used to NEVER go to the doctors; I avoided it at all costs. Well, mostly because I didn't want to pay doctor bills. Anyways, here is a quick update on some of the interesting and unexpected things going on.

1. I briefly mentioned how much of a struggle breastfeeding was for me. At the hospital, Will was having some major troubles and we talked to several lactation specialists to help us solve the problem. I wont go into all the details, but basically it was so difficult I couldn't even nurse unless Lance was there helping me. Then once we got home, it seemed like Will wasn't getting enough, so we decided to supplement a bottle with formula for a few days until my milk came in. Finally when my milk came in, we did a full good day of breastfeeding and I was feeling good about the situation. The following day, I was so sore, it hurt if anything even touched me. Then when I tried pumping, the milk came out red from blood. Yeah, that hurt A LOT! So again, back to the bottle for a few days.

2. Then finally, about 2 weeks ago another problem emerged. While Lance was at a movie, I suddenly got really cold. I was laying on the couch with Will, but I was so cold I wouldn't even get up to get more blankets or turn on the heat. I didn't feel good and pretty much sat there and cried for about 2 hours. I finally called the doctors when Lance got home and they had me come in. My temperature was 104 degrees and I was told I had mastitis. Basically it is an infection of the breast. So I was given lortab and an antibiotic to take for 2 weeks. That night, I took Will over to Lance's parents and they watched him while I took a 3 hour nap. It definitely helped and made a HUGE difference. So thank you to them. For the next several days, I alternated from having extreme chills to extreme hot flashes. It was not a fun few days.

3. So I have been taking lots of medications to try to help me get over this mastitis. I have about 3 days left of the two week course. Yesterday, I started noticing on my legs that I had these small, red bumps. They kind of looked like razor burn, or the small bumps you sometimes get right after shaving. Then as the day progressed, I noticed them on the backs of my arms and then getting more on my legs. We decided to watch it for a day and they decide what to do if it didn't change. When I woke up this morning, the rash had gotten much worse. I have thousands of red bumps on my legs and now they are covering my arms, shoulders, stomach, back, name it. And then they started to itch. And I have the hardest time resisting the urge to itch. Normally I would just ignore it and not do anything, but having a new baby makes me much more cautious. So I went to instacare. It was decided that I was allergic to the antibiotic that I had been taking. I was really surprised because I have never been allergic to anything in my life. We decided not to take any benadril because anti-histamines may dry up one's milk supply. So I ended up getting a steroid shot in my hip. Then they gave me a prescription for steroid pills to take for the next seven days.

Below is a picture of what my thigh looked like this morning.
There is just a few exciting things that I have been going through. As much as it sucks, I'd way rather it be me with the problems than Will. Lance has been so extremely helpful. I am so grateful. I have been so extremely exhausted and many times not feeling well over the past 2 weeks. He often forces me to go to sleep while he stays up with Will. He is such a good dad and such a good husband.


  1. Oh my goodness! Bobbi, that's so horrible!!! I'm so sorry that it's been so crazy for you! I've heard mastitis is the WORST and the way you described it, it sounds like it! :( I really hope everything clears up soon!

  2. Oh man, Bobbi! That is miserable...I am so sorry! That's so nice you have your in-laws close enough to help out. I hope that you get feeling better! I really really do. It just sounds awful.