Saturday, March 3, 2012

My First Race

Running has NEVER been my thing. You'd think that I'd be a decent runner after playing soccer for 7+ years, but no. Even with daily practices, I somehow managed to never get in shape. Don't ask me how that is even possible.

But I've always wanted to be a runner. The few times in my life where I was actually in decent shape to be running, I actually quite enjoyed it. One of my New Year's resolutions was to start running and build my endurance with the intent of running a half marathon sometime this year.
As embarrassing as it is to admit, at the beginning of the year, I would get tired after a quarter of a mile. A half marathon seemed SO FAR out of reach and like it would take YEARS to get to that point. Then I started running...just a little bit each day. Suddenly, I was running half a mile a day. And then one day, I finally ran a full mile. Then I started the Couch to 5K program. And yesterday, I found myself running 1.80 miles and not feeling like I was about to die.

I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but for me it really is. I'm still a long way off the half marathon, but I can feel my endurance building each week.

So I entered my first race. I signed up for the Utah Valley 10k on June 9th. I knew that by actually registering and paying the money would be a great motivation for me and force me to see this thing through. I'm actually quite excited for it..and if anyone wants to join me...please do! I run at a VERY slow pace, so you may not want to actually run with me, but I'd love for anyone to join me.

1 comment:

  1. BOBBI!!! That is sooo freaking awesome! This post totally reminds me of how I felt last year... It was sooo hard to start but just wait! Soon you'll be putting so many miles between you and your starting point that you'll be driving and realize how long you can run! I totally wish I could come run with you. YOU ARE AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete