Saturday, July 6, 2013

God Bless America!

 Happy Independence Day! 
 We are so blessed to live in such a great country. And even though our country is far from perfect, I am proud to be an American. 

The 4th of July has never been my favorite holiday, but each year I grow more fond of it. As with many holidays, they are simply more fun and exciting when you have kids. (Though kids also make it more stressful.)

This was the first year that we haven't spent with the Hinton family in Logan. We definitely missed that tradition, yet it was fun to do our own thing with our little family and explore the new area we are in.

We slept in as late as the kids allowed us, which was about 6:45am, then hung around the house for the morning, slowing getting ready to go to the parade. My original plan was to get the kids ready, then take them to a park to get some pictures. But Blake decided that she would rather take a nap, so that didn't happen.

We didn't go and claim a spot the day before so we knew it would be difficult, though we did manage to squeeze in between two people and get a decent seat.

That's the best picture I got with both of them the entire day. Kind of sad about that.

Will was interested for all of 30 seconds. He couldn't beat the older kids to the candy, so he gave up on that pretty quick.

Plus it was about 100 degrees outside. I was sweating well before the parade even started. Will mostly wanted to go for a walk, which wasn't a good idea with so many people. I finally gave in and let him walk around for a little bit. But once I told him it was time to turn around, he took off running through the crowd. I heard a few people chuckling as I was chasing after him.

He ended up spending the majority of the parade playing with his stroller.

Towards the end, we had all had about enough and we made an attempt to get back to our car. We dashed between two parts of the parade...then noticed that it was the last one. Oh well, at least we got a good start to our car and we didn't get trapped in any traffic.

We hurried home to have a quick lunch and get the kids down for a nap. Boy do we love nap time :)

After the kids woke up, we went over to Tom and Savannah's apartments to go swimming. We know them from up in Logan, and they happened to move within a few miles of us the same week we moved. (Yay for knowing at least one person in a brand new city!)

Anyways, we spent a few hours watching Will go crazy at the pool. Thank you random person for letting us borrow the arm floaties. He's definitely rocking the pink.

He liked to jump in, chase the ball, and run on the wet concrete...which always ended up with him face planting.

Despite that, he wasn't too thrilled when we had to leave, at least not until Savannah told him she had a cookie at her apartment. He wasted no time after that.

You guys coming, or what?

Thanks for the backpack, Grandma. He loves it.

Once we were changed out of our swim clothes, we headed back to our place for a BBQ. Very traditional, with hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, pasta salad, etc. Afterwards, we relaxed while our food settled and tried to decide which fireworks to go see.

We left early for fireworks so we could stop at DQ and get a blizzard. Closed. So we found a Cold Stone somewhat nearby and drove there. Closed. Giving up, we finally went to Wal-Mart, grabbed some ice cream and a few spoons and booked it to the firework show. Having never been to this area, we really had no idea where we were going or where the "best seats" in town were. So we just followed the masses and found a nice spot on the grass surrounded by large trees. I was worried the trees would block the view, but turns out they didn't.

We were much closer than I thought we would be and the noise was incredibly loud. Will typically HATES loud noises, so I was shocked how unaffected he seemed to be. Before the show started, we were playing with sparklers. Will had one in his hand when the first firework went off. It startled him, and he dropped his sparkler. It burned his finger pretty good, plus it happened to land on the grocery bag and started a super mini fire. (No worries, it was barely a small flame.) He screamed for a good while because of his finger, then he calmed down for the rest of the show.

We didn't get home until about 11pm, and we were all exhausted. I didn't even have to tell Will to get into bed. Once we got home, he went right upstairs and climbed into his bed. Wish every night was that easy!

The worse part was that even though the kids were up way past their bedtime (they usually go to sleep around 8pm), they were still up the next morning at 6am. That morning sure was rough and Will was grumpy about everything. If you looked at him the wrong way, he acted like his world was ending. Let's just say nap time came early that day.

1 comment: