Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Crochet

About a month or two ago, a ran into a blog of a friend who is really good at crocheting. Her blog has some links for tutorials and other tips, and I decided it was something I wanted to learn.

Now, I had crocheted a bit when I was pregnant with Will. I made his blessing blanket, but it was terrible. I wanted to learn how to actually follow patterns and make something decent.

After watching many YouTube videos, I attempted my first real hat (not using a loom).
I was able to to follow the pattern and I think it turned out great for my first one! Unfortunately, it wasn't a very good pattern and the hat is very short and doesn't really cover Will's head. But it was a good start and I knew it would be an easy adjustment for the next time.

There is something really exciting about trying something new and seeing a project form before your eyes. There are moments when I'm just not sure how it's going to work, then suddenly it's finished and actually looks like it is supposed to.

I've become a crocheting madwomen. I love it for so many reasons:
1- It gives me something to do when I am bored and need to pass the time.
2- It's a fun and cheap gift!
3- It keeps me distracted and takes my mind away from my stomach aches.

Here are some of the different projects I have been working on:

I have made me a few pair of boot cuffs. Here is an example of what they look like.
 I made Lance this USU hat as well as a hat that looks like a football.
 I've made several hats for our little girl.

Matching sock monkey hats for Will and baby girl.

With some inspiration from a variety of other hats, I came up with this design. Lance wore it to class once and had a guy from USU football team ask if I would sell him one.
 
So I made another one, but a larger size and with larger horns.

He also requested to have his number on the side.
 I was pretty proud of this hat, and somewhat see it go. Lance just got a text from that player saying that 5 other players would like one also. I haven't decided if I'm going to make them or not, as they are extremely time consuming.

 Here is a little puppy hat I made my nephew for Christmas.
Made a hat and boots for my little niece.

 After I got a little sick of hats, I decided to venture out a little and make different baby booties/shoes.
I designed this matching set to go with a little outfit I made.


 I really hope these sandals will be big enough for the summer. Aren't they adorable?!
 And of course I had to make some headbands.
As you can see, I've been having some fun.

Check out theworstedcrochetblog.blogspot.com/  for some tips and free patterns!



2 comments:

  1. Wow! Look at you go!!! Those are all awesome!!! :) Maybe I'll pick it up one day. I've always thought it was neat. :)

    And an idea- the hats may be consuming, but start charging and make some money off of them because I'm sure if you make 5 more, then you'll have more after that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So cute! Especially the booties are such a great idea. So much warmer than socks. Wish I had the patience...

    ReplyDelete