Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Bedroom Update - Decorating

*If you missed the post about the construction, click HERE.

Now that the construction part of the room was finished, it was time to decorate! It wouldn't have taken so long if I wasn't so indecisive. I went in several stores and discovered pretty quickly that I was not going to find a bed spread that I liked that would match the room. So I started scouring fabric stores, looking for something that I liked. 
Finally, I found two that I really liked. And they even looked decent together. To prevent myself from having to make a decision, I got both fabrics and just made the comforter reversible. Yay!
I also made some throw pillows to go on Blake's bed.
Once the room was finished, it also became very clear to me how much I hated the kids dresser. The color clashed terribly with the new pink walls and it bugged me to no end. My neighbor has painted tons of furniture so I enlisted her help. She came up with the idea to do ombre drawers, and she told me how to do it.
The dresser took me way longer than I thought it would. I'm not sure why I always think it'll go fast because it never does. I took off all of the hardware so I could paint the base of the dresser white.
Then I painted the drawers.
I also added some fabric to the sides of the drawers to add just a little something extra.
When I was finished, I decided I wanted to do the top glittery gold. For whatever reason, this was the hardest part of the entire thing. I had to redo it about 4 times. Either the paint was patchy, lots of air bubbles, or just a ugly color. Finally I ended up finding a color that I was happy with. Then I added some new hardware, painted the same as the top, and it was good to go!

Before and after of the dresser:

I also painted a mirror that we had and placed it on top of the dresser. I am so proud of how the dresser turned out. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, as it was my first time really tackling furniture. I'm a bit obsessed with it, and it may have given me the bug to refinish more furniture in the future. If only we had a garage or somewhere to do that type of work..I think it is something I would really enjoy doing with the intent of selling the products. 
It took me FOREVER to decide what accent colors I wanted. When I chose to do gold, I knew I wanted to do gold polka dot on the walls too.

Add some decorations and the room is complete! I'm in love with how it turned out.





I both love and hate finishing projects. I love seeing the final product and being able to see my vision come to life. And I hate the mess and chaos that comes with projects, so I am always happy to get my house back in order. But I love having a project to work on. By the time I'm finished, I'm both determined to never do another house project again and anxious to start on the next one. Let's be honest, I'm usually more than ready to start dreaming about the next project. 

1 comment:

  1. I. LOVE. THIS!!!!!!! Holy cow it looks so good! It puts all of my house updates to shame. :) Come over and help me do board and batten in my house please!

    ReplyDelete