Thursday, June 11, 2015

Syracuse Boil Order

On Friday, June 5, Syracuse confirmed a contaminated sample (E-coli) from the culinary water system. The city issued a "Boil Notice" for the entire City until further notice.


We were advised to:
  • Use boiled or bottled water
  • If you plan to boil, bring it to rapid boil for 1 minute.
  • Throw out ice cubes from regrigerator
  • Boiled water or bottle water should be used for brushing teeth, washing hands before food prep, and for food preparation.
  • Shower is permissible in un-boiled water if there are no open sore on the body and it doesn't enter the mouth.
The the water from the provides is declared safe:
  • Drain and flush all ice makers, water heaters, purifiers, water softeners.
  • Lets cold water run through water every faucet in your house for 20 minutes followed by 2 straight hot water. Replace filters.
  • Throw out ice cubes or other water stored in refrigeration that have connections o culinary water sources.

The "Boil Notice" in effect until the effect until until late Tuesday.

There were a lot of people panicking and I heard it was pretty intense at the store trying to get water. For whatever reason, I really wasn't concerned at all. Friday night we tried to use bottled water, though I admit I forgot a few times and drank from the tap.

On Saturday, we spent most of the day down in Utah County for my nephews' baptism. So we really weren't home much of the day.

The next few days, we simply boiled water when needed, used bottled water when needed, and it really wasn't that big of a deal. I informed Will that there were "bugs" in the water and he did a really good job not drinking from the tap or giving any water to Blake. Yes, it was slightly annoying and I felt it was harder to clean things since I couldn't just wash dishes in the sink, but it wasn't the end of the world. Maybe I should have been more concerned, I'm not sure.

But yahoo for clean water again!




No comments:

Post a Comment