Thursday, November 24, 2011

Birthday Bliss

Throughout my teenage and college years, I was never a fan of birthdays, especially my own. I was never a fan of holidays for that matter. Now Lance, on the other hand, still gets excited for birthdays and Christmas and all that fun stuff. Being around him and his enthusiasm is starting to rub off. I've discovered that having someone to share the holidays with makes them more exciting. And having a child just adds to that excitement.

I was really happy that Lance's surprise party turned out. But because of it, I didn't really plan much for his actual birthday. Luckily he understood, and we still had a great day. The day went as follows:

When Will woke up around 7:30am, I hurried into his room and grabbed him so Lance wouldn't wake up. He threatened to take him for the morning and let me sleep in, but I wanted to let him sleep in. Plus I had some..."things"...to do.

Will and I headed downstairs to put the butterscotch rolls in the oven. (If you haven't had these, they are a MUST! I'll post recipe at the end of this post.) Then I loaded a plate up with the rolls, filled a glass with milk, and headed upstairs to deliver breakfast to Lance. I should've let him sleep in longer, but I was too excited and wanted to eat the rolls while they were still warm.

While we partook of the rolls, I gave Lance his first two presents. Nothing exciting, believe me. I wouldn't even classify them as gifts. It was more like I found something at our apartment, wrapped it, and took the credit for getting it.

Will was first distracted by the balloon, but soon gave his complete attention to the wrapping paper. Christmas will be fun for him with all that wrapping paper.
Unfortunately, I only got pictures from that morning. I had my camera with me most of the day, I just forgot to get it out. Hate when that happens. I really wanted a good picture of Lance and I.
No I was not giving him any hints or anything. He simply was almost out.
After breakfast, we just spent the morning relaxing. We watched the Colbert Report, lounged around, then got ready for the day. Then we ran a few errands and topped it off with Carl's for lunch.
From there we headed to the parents to do some laundry. Just the thing everyone wants to do on their birthday, I know. While there, Lance got some gifts from his parents. He got two suits, a shirt to go with them, and a few ties. Excellent. For those who are not aware, Lance dislikes..no HATES...wearing suits to church. While he wasn't jumping for joy over the suits, I think he understands the need for them. (Future job interviews, nice occasions, church, etc.) And between you and me, I think he's a little excited about them. He mentioned how he was going to wear the tie I gave him with one of his suits this week. I'm excited for Sunday because he is going to be looking good! Don't worry, I'll make sure to post some pictures.
While we had our laundry going, we decided to watch Super 8. We had wanted to see it in theaters but never got around to it. Funny how much that happens lately. I had pretty high expectations, so it wasn't quite as good as I was hoping. Plus there was a lot of swearing. Blah. Not a bad movie, but I'm glad we didn't pay to go see it in theaters.

Once the movie was over, Lance and I left Will with the folks and we went out to dinner. Lance really wanted pizza, so we decided to try the Pizza Pie Cafe. And they just happened to have a special going on where is was only $5 per person. Its a pizza, pasta, and salad buffet and it was actually pretty decent. I got full pretty quickly, so I didn't get to try as many as I would've liked. The raspberry dessert pizza alone made it worth it though. I think next time, I'll just skip the salad and pasta and head straight to the dessert pizza.

I made Lance a cake, but by the time we got home, we were both way too full for cake. Oh well, I'm sure it'll get eaten here eventually. In fact, I might go get me a piece right now. Mmm...rainbow chip.


Butterscotch Rolls
package of frozen rolls
1/2 cup butter (melted)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 package butterscotch pudding
2 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Grease a 9-inch round pan and place about 8 frozen rolls in there, evenly spaced.
Or use a 9-inch bundt pan and use twice the amount of rolls.
2. Mix the melted butter and brown sugar together and put aside. I usually add a little more brown sugar until it gets to the consistency that I like.
3. Sprinkle the butterscotch pudding over the rolls, then sprinkle on the cinnamon.
4. Pour the butter mixture over the rolls, then cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap.
5. Let the rolls rise for 6-8 hours, or overnight.
Bake according to the instructions on the frozen rolls. (I bake mine at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment